UNDP and the UN
As the lead United Nations organization in the occupied Palestinian territory, the Office of the United Nations Special Coordinator (UNSCO) coordinates the work of the United Nations system in support of the peace process to ensure an adequate response to the needs of the Palestinian people, to the priorities of the Palestinian Authority, and to mobilize financial, technical, economic and other assistance.
UNSCO's role as coordinator of the United Nations family in the West Bank and Gaza Strip was established within the context of a series of donor and UN coordination mechanisms that were set up after the Oslo Accords and in subsequent agreements, including the Paris Protocol on economic affairs.
The Special Coordinator provides overall strategic guidance to United Nations programmes and agencies in the West Bank and Gaza Strip, to both those with representation in the field and those based abroad. UNSCO facilitates coordination within the United Nations family to ensure that the Organization's overall approach to socio-economic development is integrated and unified, and is consistent with the priorities identified by the State of Palestine.
UNDP serves as an umbrella organization for several UN agencies in the occupied Palestinian territory. The umbrella functions relate essentially to opeartional matters involving travel, logistics, payments, coordination and other related activities.
UNDP supports the strengthening of the UN’s contribution to improve development perspectives, with a focus on Gaza reconstruction and building resilience in Area C and East Jerusalem in alignment with its new programme strategy to the UN Developmnet Assistance Framework (UNDAF) cycle 2018-2022. UNDP is engaged with other agencies on joint programmes that address development challenges as inclusive education, rule of law and access to justice, women’s economic empowerment, youth and disability, in addition to its leadership of the SDG Task Force.
UN Agencies in the occupied Palestinian territory
- Office of the United Nations Special Coordinator (UNSCO)
- United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA)
- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)
- The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- The United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- UN Women
- United Nations Office of the High Commissioner of Human Rights (UNOHCHR)
- World Food Programme (WFP)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- International Labour Organization (ILO)
- Food and Agricultural Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
- United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-HABITAT)
- United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS)
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- United Nations Volunteers Programme (UNV)
- The World Bank