Future Generation in East Jerusalem
The Future Generation in East Jerusalem project aims at building, from among Palestinian students a cadre of educated and trained leaders who are civic-minded, intellectually able and professionally skilled to become community business and national leaders.
Through the project, 16 schools in East Jerusalem will be receiving 900 Classmate devices from UNDP, as well as different levels of trainings for students, teachers, education officials and practitioners on how to utilize those devices. Classmate devices are Intel clamshell PCs designed for students, teachers, administrators and schools. They were designed to enrich the education process based on extensive research in classrooms worldwide and in collaboration with educators and software designers.
The utilized e-content and educational applications will improve the quality of education in the oPt by acquiring and developing analytical and entrepreneurial skills, prompting critical and innovative thinking, and supporting students to acquaint to global knowledge, economy and technology.
As a result of the higher levels of education, the students’ earning capacity potentials will increase and consequently improve their livelihoods. Furthermore, the project attempts to balance between the provision of high quality education and capacity development of educational and societal institutions to create a national programme that is able to combat inequality and human poverty in East Jerusalem.
Accomplishments and Progress
- A primary training for school teachers was conducted.
- An agreement was reached with the Ministry of Education on specifications, software and education material needed.
- Distribution of equipment on 70% of the selected schools.
- Ongoing discussions for arranging a training for students and another intensive one on Mathematics, Science, English and IT for school teachers.
- Ongoing discussions for arranging specialized training for some of the Ministry of Education officials, school principals and IT technicians.
Finances and Delivery
|Donor||Amount Contributed 2012||Amount Disbursed 2013|
|Wafa Group||USD 180,000||USD 180,000|
|Islamic Development Bank||USD 120,000||USD 120,000|
- Project Start Date:
- June 2012
- Estimated End Date:
- December 2013
- Wafa Group, Islamic Development Bank
- Palestinian Partners for Sustainable Development, the Directorate of Education in East Jerusalem
- Geographic Coverage:
- East Jerusalem
- Focus Area:
- Poverty Reduction / Education
- Millennium Development Goal
- Eradicate Extreme Poverty and Hunger, Achieve Universal Primary Education
- Nasser Faqih, Poverty Reduction Team Leader, Contact: 00972-2-96268200, email@example.com