6 Promote gender equality and empower women
Where we are?
The participation of women in social, economic and political life is a basic factor in the developmental process of any society. Significant progress has been achieved in female participation in public life in the occupied Palestinian territory. Palestinian women achieve high rates of enrolment in all levels of education, actually exceeding male enrolment rates in some stages. The ratio of females to males in basic education is 98 females for every 100 males; in secondary education the ratio is 118 females for every 100 males; and in university education the ratio is 128 females for every 100 males.The problem lies in female enrolment rates in scientific specializations in universities and in vocational and technical education in the secondary phase, where there are 56 females for every 100 males.This gap is due to the traditional view of the role of women and their fields of work and policies are required to bridge this gap in the foreseeable future and gradually eradicate it.
Based on analysis of the status of women in the occupied Palestinian territory, policies and interventions pertaining to women tackle the main challenges that face Palestinian women i.e. the need for women’s liberation, enhanced female participation in public life in the various representative bodies, combating violence against women and the protection of women’s rights through a comprehensive review of all effective legislation.
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG3
- Eliminate gender disparity in primary and secondary education preferably by 2005, and at all levels by 2015
- Ratios of girls to boys in primary, secondary and tertiary education
- Share of women in wage employment in the non-agricultural sector
- Proportion of seats held by women in national parliament